First Presbyterian is a House of Prayer that prays diligently, fervently, and expectantly for our members, visitors, the downtown community, and missions locally and around the world.
There are a number of ways to receive individual prayer at First Pres.
• Meet with one of the Elders for prayer on Sunday mornings after the services or in the Prayer
• Fill out a Prayer Request form, located in the literature racks and pew racks
• Schedule a private appointment with a Prayer Minister by calling 672.1848.
• Attend the Tuesday Night Prayer Service offered every Tuesday at 7:00pm in Harper Prayer Chapel.
• Fill out and return the prayer card you receive in the mail.
• Leave a prayer request on our Prayer Line at 672.1838 or email@example.com.
• Contact Congregational Care at 672.0327 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Different areas are available for anyone who would like to serve in the Prayer Ministry.
• Become a Prayer Minister for the Tuesday Evening Healing Prayer Service.
• Join the Prayer Room Team and spend an hour or two each week in prayer for requests that are submitted.
• Join the Prayer Card Team and send prayer cards by mail to members of the congregation each month.
• Join the Prayer Card Team for College Students and send prayer cards to college students three times a year.
If you are interested in being a part of the Prayer Ministry or would like more information, please call Stan
Johnson at 672.0334 or Tammy Burkhalter at 672.0327
40 Days of Prayer
During the season of Lent our congregation participates in 40 days of prayer. A prayer journal is provided to the congregation and includes specific prayer requests for the church along with a place for personal prayer requests. Watch for the 2017 Prayer Journal in February.
Psalms Prayer JournalLove Prayer Journal
Recommended Books on Prayer
A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers by DA Carson
Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home by Richard J. Foster
Too Busy Not to Pray by Bill Hybels
Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy With God by Tim Keller
A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World by Paul Miller
With Christ in the School of Prayer by Andrew Murray
Hearing God by Dallas Willard
Tuesday Evening Prayer Service
The Tuesday Evening Prayer Service is held weekly at 7:00pm in Harper Prayer Chapel. You are invited to come and experience God's presence and receive His love, peace, hope, and healing through prayer. The service includes a time of worship and praise, and ministry by a Pastor and the FPC Healing Prayer Team. Prayer is offered in two ways: silent soaking prayer in the pews, and direct, spoken prayer with anointing if desired, at prayer stations.
Our Prayer Room (Room 310) is a beautiful place, blessed and set apart for prayer. Responding to
the call of God, each intercessor on the Prayer Room Team spends one to two hours a week
praying for our congregation, our staff, and our missionaries. Each one has been trained and has
taken a vow of confidentiality. Prayer requests are received through Prayer Request forms located
in the literature and pew racks. The forms can be placed in the offering plate or the Prayer Request
Boxes located throughout the church. Requests may also be called in to our 24-hour prayer line,
Members of the Prayer Team are available to pray with you Sunday mornings
after each service and in the Harper Prayer Chapel.
Prayer Card Team
The Prayer Card Team intercedes for every family in our congregation for one week during
the year. A card is sent to notify members prior to the week the team prays for a family.
They usually have no specific knowledge of need or requests, but will be praying for
blessing and guidance for your family for that entire week.
The Prayer Card Team for College Students intercedes for students throughout the school
year, and contacts them using preprinted postcards three times during the year